To the jenth power ...

I read the books. I watched the show. I unflinchingly wore a sunbonnet to second grade. What started as a childhood obsession has developed into .. well, an adult obsession. I'm going to visit some of the sites depicted in the Little House series of books. Go west, (not-so-) young woman, indeed.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Plains, Planes & Automobiles

Wow - this page sure is green, innit? I try to tell myself that I chose this template because it carries faint echoes of Wright's Prairie style of architecture/embellishment. To be honest, however, I chose it simply because it was a different pattern that that used on the blogs of friends (I am a rugged individualist! I am!). I also find light print on a dark background a little tough on the peepers, so this template was the default choice. If nothing else, it's very, eh ... green. Ah well. I suppose there are worse things.

Again, with the airlines. I keep filling in theoretical flight dates to come up with inexpensive flights. I'm finding that my best choice may be to fly from Allentown, PA to Minneapolis. So far, I've found a roundtrip airfare for $334.00. Since my magic 8-ball won't reveal what the airfares will be when I book my flight (Dammit! I keep getting "try again"), I'm going to budget $500.00. I asked my brother if he'd be willing to drive me to the airport so that I can avoid paying for long-term parking there. He looked at me blanky for a moment, then said he'd really have to check his schedule. Heh. Wise-ass, that one.

The car rentals are a bit sticky, but the most inexpensive estimate I could find was $19.95/day for a compact/economy car. I recall from past rentals that there are all sorts of fun charges, taxes, subcharges, excises and a papal dispensation involved. For my rough budget, I'm assuming $30.00/day, so that's $210.00 for seven days. I'll figure a gas budget once I've got more of a real itinerary.

Thus far:
$500.00 for airfare
$210.00 for car rental
... which creates a grand total of $710.00. Whee! Math is fun!

I think I'd like to shoot for the week of July 11- July 18. Of course, the plans may change as I look into different attractions, but I'm going to use that week (Wednesday - Wednesday) as my ideal time frame.

Now if only the US Postal Service would bring me all my prairie goodies. I just know that my postman is holding out on me. I'll bet he's hoarding the "Discover South Dakota!" and "Minnesota: Magic and Memories" brochure packets; I mean, they've got to be riveting white-knuckle reading for anyone lucky enough to get their mitts on 'em, right? Right.

Here's a little ditty (with my sincerest apologies to Paul Simon ... and Julio):

Roaming Spinster Loose on the Prairie
(Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard)

Some July night, I'll catch the cheapest flight that'll take me to Minnesota
I'll see what's what, watch a pageant or such, and then go on to South Dakota
In a rental car, in rental car
In a rental car, 'cause it's kinda far
My boyfriend sighs, then he rolls his eyes
Every time my trip gets mentioned
He might tut-tut or declare me nuts ...
It won't sway my prairie intentions.

I'm on my way, though not sure where I'm going
I'm on my way, I'm saving some cash, mostly jars of change
Goodbye Scranton - Queen of the Rust Belt
Roaming spinster out on the prairie
Roaming spinster out on the prairie

It'll take me a year to get my ass in gear
And rack up some legal tender
So I'll blather and blog these inane monologues
It's a crazy prairie bender!
Well, I'm on my way, but not sure where I'm going
I'm on my way, I might even wear a sunbonnet!
Goodbye Scranton - Queen of the Rust Belt
There'll be a roaming spinster loose on the prairie
Another roaming spinster loose on the prairie

Days until trip: 327
Amount saved: $161.00

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home