To the jenth power ...

I read the books. I watched the show. I unflinchingly wore a sunbonnet to second grade. What started as a childhood obsession has developed into .. well, an adult obsession. I'm going to visit some of the sites depicted in the Little House series of books. Go west, (not-so-) young woman, indeed.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Hey! Get a room, already. Sheesh.

Hotel room in Walnut Grove vicinity? Booked
Hotel for two nights in DeSmet? Booked
Reservation to camp in a "Covered Wagon" on the Ingalls Homestead? Pending.
A cheesy mix of Prairie and Queen? Priceless.

(Bohemian Rhapsody)

Is this the real life?
Is it just fantasy?
Full steam ahead
For my trip out to the prairie
Traveling west
Doing my best to see -
I'm just a spinster
A spinster who's read the books:
Little House, Little Town
(Got the whole series down)
Now I want to see it,
Now it's time for a look-see
Prairie!

First off, I tried DeSmet
What an easy-peasy day -
Lots of places I could stay
But trouble came with Walnut Grove
Any hotels were a little drive away
Tracy (oooooh - Tracy, Minnesota)
Seven miles to the west
It seemed to be the best that I could do
So I called, and I booked
For Tracy, Minnesota

My last move?
The Homestead spot
I've called there several times, but the phone just rings a lot
Dammit! I'm kind of getting scared
That they might have filled their July 13th slot
Homestead? (oooooh - please answer the phone, guys)
A "covered wagon" stay
Might be the most important part of all ....

(guitar solo)

I booked a little internet hotel room
In DeSmet! In DeSmet!
On the South Dakota prairie
Booked it quick as lightning,
The way I got my flight - online!

Minnesota, Minnesota,
Minnesota, Minnesota,
Minnesota ...Walnut Gro-oh-oh-ove
It's just a small town, tiny, I assume -
It's just a small town, without a hotel room!
Got out a map, then I Googled, and - boom!

Found a place to rest my head, now for the Homestead -
It just rings - No! They won't answer the phone! (Get the phone!)
Goddammit, No! They won't answer the phone! (Get the phone!)
Goddammit, No! They won't answer the phone! (Get the phone!)
No, no, no, no, no, no, no -
They won't answer, they won't answer, they won't answer the damn phone
It's evident there's no Little Answering Machine!
On the!
Prairie!

So you think you can be a "covered wagon" tease?
So you think you can answer the phone as you please?
Oh, Homestead - can't do this to me, Homestead
Just gotta' reserve, I just wanna' reserve that camp site

My plans are almost wrapped up -
Anyone can see ....
Despite this blog commotion
The wheels are all in motion -
Whoo-eee!
Counting down the days, now ......

Days until trip: 163
Money saved: $350.00

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home