To the jenth power ...

I read the books. I watched the show. I unflinchingly wore a sunbonnet to second grade. What started as a childhood obsession has developed into .. well, an adult obsession. I'm going to visit some of the sites depicted in the Little House series of books. Go west, (not-so-) young woman, indeed.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Stop! Grammartime.

Ever heard of Glamour Bombing? I hadn't either until recently. From what I understand, it's a sort of guerrilla performance art. A sneak attack of cute, if you will. While I can appreciate the sentiment behind it (God knows I dig the absurd), I think there's a far greater need for something else:

Grammar Bombing.

I've been anticipating this movement for years. When I find glaring errors in the local newspaper, I've been known to red-pencil them and mail the page back to said paper anonymously. If the mistakes are particularly bad, or if I'm in a foul mood, I'll add a "shame on you" to the top of my missive for good measure. The most heinous instance was the repeated use of the word "trusties" in the place of "trustees". In a headline. On the front page. I had no choice but to Grammar Bomb.

The most common instances of language abuse seem to involve misplaced apostrophes and quote marks. Daily special's. "Fresh" flowers. I know I've waxed poetic about this before, but, dammit, it's just getting worse. Occasionally, I'll run into a sign or a menu with striking errors, and I sometimes try to point them out, often using humor. I ran into a whiteboard martini menu last week that read, simply: Martini's. Martini's what? Martini's socks? Martini's philosophy? Martini's shattered dreams? The suspense nearly killed me. If there had been an available whiteboard marker I might have posted these musings. I might have had to Grammar Bomb.

Does this mean I'm nuts? Probably. Do I care? Not a whit. When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one gal to dissolve the steadfast hold of the misused apostrophe ... well, she has to go for it. She's got a moral imperative to Grammar Bomb. Right? Right.

I suppose that I'm most bothered by the fact that many of these newspaper articles and signs must pass through the hands of several people during production. Here's an example: the sign on a local hair salon reads "Cuts For Men and Boy's". Now, somebody had to figure out the wording on that sign. Perhaps they sketched out the basics. Then they approached a business to manufacture the sign. I'd imagine that the design and layout were approved by the original author. Then the sign had to be made. It had to be installed. And nobody, nobody, noticed the bad punctuation? Nobody even tried to tactfully suggest, even from an aesthetic perspective, that the apostrophe might not be a good move (never mind the random capitals)? That's what astounds me.

I won't even go into the wholesale slaughter of there/their/they're.

Now, I'm not a hypocrite. Well, okay, maybe a little bit. I know there are likely countless errors on this very blog. This entry alone probably contains fifteen grammatical missteps. However, I'm not a writer. I'm not an editor. It's not my job to produce perfect prose. I do my best, but - hey - I know my limitations, and I welcome correction. Besides, I suspect my readership probably lingers in the lofty single digits, so at the very least my carnage is contained. But a newspaper? Don't they hire people to edit and fact-check? Wouldn't a signmaker double-check these things?

I may be guilty of all sorts of moral shortcomings. Thankfully, misplaced possessives don't generally appear on that roster.

So their. How about them apple's?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger JK said...

Apparently, your following is greater than you may have thought. Upon the publishing of this article, the salon immediately corrected their ... or is it they're ... maybe there ... possibly thayre ... anyway, blatant mistake. If people are allowed to parade in the streets to broadcast their ... or thair (grrrr) ... thaer sexuality in the public spotlight, why not fire up the torches and take to the streets as grammar nazis? At least people will be able to explain that cause to theare ( ... again) kids.

But then again, ebonics (even the name just sounds funny) has become socially acceptable, and Spanish has risen to our unofficial second language ... we probably won't even need the English language anymore in a few years and the entire decay of penmanship and grammatical tact is just a way to brace us all for impact.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Jen Bossypants said...

Interesting points! However, I like to think of myself as more of a Grammar Poppins. You know .. a spoonful of sugar and all that. It never hurts to leaven the point with humor, methinks.

I did see the change on the local sign. Although I'd like to think it was the work of the almighty blog, I suspect I was a case of simple coincidence. At any rate, it put a spring in my step and a glimmer of joy into my cold, black heart to see the correction.

Unfortunately, I see no relief in sight IRT The Scranton Times-Tribune. There still making a hearty helping of error's with every issue. My work here is not done. That's okay,though, I've got my red pen at the ready.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home