To the jenth power ...

I read the books. I watched the show. I unflinchingly wore a sunbonnet to second grade. What started as a childhood obsession has developed into .. well, an adult obsession. I'm going to visit some of the sites depicted in the Little House series of books. Go west, (not-so-) young woman, indeed.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Badlands! Bad! Bad!

You know, it's really hard not to be able to do everything.

Lest you fear that I'm waxing philosophical ... I'm not. Not a bit. I'm just kvetching about all the wonderful things there are in South Dakota that are just a little bit too far away for me to see them.

Sure, I'd like to see Mount Rushmore. And Deadwood. And the Badlands - especially the Badlands. However, all of these are at least a 5+ hour drive from De Smet. I suppose that I could have structured the trip in another way that would allow for westward movement, but I was afraid that I'd end up trying to jam waaaay to much sightseeing into a one-week visit. And, to be honest, that instinct is probably spot-on. I planned this trip to check out a few of the Little House sites, and I deliberately tried to give myself time to really explore each thing. I like to think that I'll be glad I did.

But .... the Badlands. The goddam Badlands. The more I read about them, the more I really want to go. The pictures I've seen are amazing, and the descriptions I've read are compelling. I just don't know what to do. Even if I were to set aside a day ... well, it's a five-hour drive there and a five-hour drive back to De Smet. That leaves precious little time for actual, well, Badlanding, you know? It's really the sort of thing that would require quite a bit of time to adequately see. Days. Maybe even a week. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to back-burner the Badlands.

Too bad. It's sad. But to try to squeeze it in? I'd have to be mad.

------------------------------

Days until trip: 40
Money Saved: $485.00

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you would be mad to try to squeeze the Badlands into this trip. You must see them some day, though. I've been to the Badlands in both North and South Dakota and they are GORGEOUS!!

I love the new pic of you with your sunbonnet on. :)

Kafski

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Jen Bossypants said...

Awww, thanks! I took it one day at work. Unfortunately, it must seem as if I spend all my time lurking in bathrooms. Oh well. It's an occupational hazard, I guess, when I become my own photographer.

I can't even begin to say how disappointed I am at not being able to see the Badlands. I haven't really traveled in years, and I'd forgotten how one trip begets the urge for another!

I'm still doing Mansfield '08, come hell or high water. After all, I've got to have a reason to keep this blog afloat! I'm really hoping that I'll have a partner in crime (hint hint).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home