To the jenth power ...

I read the books. I watched the show. I unflinchingly wore a sunbonnet to second grade. What started as a childhood obsession has developed into .. well, an adult obsession. I'm going to visit some of the sites depicted in the Little House series of books. Go west, (not-so-) young woman, indeed.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Fond Farewell


Dear Harley,

Buddy, you were never the easiest cat around. In fact, you were known far and wide as the cat who nips for fun. If you'd been given a Native American name, I think it might've been Growls At Everything. Or perhaps Hunts And Bloodies Dangling Limbs. But, you know what? I loved you for it. You really had a fighting spirit like no other.

I'll remember your tireless pursuit of the laser pointer beam. The times you'd carry your favorite toy around the house, yelling all the while. Hell, the fact that said beloved toy was a plush candy corn from a crane machine. I'll remember that Birkenstocks really are the best cat chew items, ever. Most importantly, I'll remember that you were one who saw me through the sturm und drang of my early adulthood. For that, I thank you.

We'll miss you, Harley. My family, my friends, even the other pets. The moles of the neighborhood may now be breathing a collective sigh of relief, but you'll be sorely missed by the rest of us, O Mighty Hunter.

Not bad for a kitten who was once abandoned on a highway. You done good, kiddo.

All my love, friend.
Jen

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger charlieboo said...

He's a real beauty, ganymede - you were lucky to have him, and definitely vice versa. I love the white half mustache.

(is it bad that I was slightly distracted by what I thought was a "bra sale" sign in the background, wondering why a cat is shopping for lingerie?)

charlieboo

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Jen Bossypants said...

He was a handsome little beast, wasn't he?

Don't feel bad about that distraction. In fact, it may interest you to know that, by Gods!, it's a Brass Balls Saloon sticker (applied to the side of a speaker). Because, as you know, I'm all about decorum and class. Heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home