To the jenth power ...

I read the books. I watched the show. I unflinchingly wore a sunbonnet to second grade. What started as a childhood obsession has developed into .. well, an adult obsession. I'm going to visit some of the sites depicted in the Little House series of books. Go west, (not-so-) young woman, indeed.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

So Speaketh The Leaf Thief

I managed to wrangle a computer, so I thought I'd give a quick update.

Right now, I'm in De Smet. It's been amazing. I toured the Ingalls home, the Surveyors' House, the school and I visited both the Ingalls and the Wilder homestead sites. I just got back to the hotel from the De Smet pageant. It's all been incredible, but the most moving part of the trip, for me, has been the chance to see the cottonwood trees that were planted by the Ingalls family. I stopped by early this morning, and while I was there, I took a few leaves. I couldn't help myself - I was kind of blown away that these trees were the very ones mentioned in the books. Yep. You got that right ... I've sunk to the level of leaf thief. Foliage felon.

And worse? I returned to the scene of the crime ... I just had to see the trees and the surrounding prairie at sunset. I did refrain from stealing more leaves this time, though.

My time in Walnut Grove was also incredible. I think the best part was my visit to the dugout site. Because of the hour time difference and its interesting effects on my circadian rhythms, I was up early enough to be able to visit the site when nobody else was around. It was awfully nice to be able to check it out in solitude, to have time to poke around at my leisure. It was the first time I'd really gotten a chance to walk around on the actual prairie.

I've managed to write something like fifty pages of notes, information, and impressions. Never fear, though - I won't bore you with every little tidbit here in the next few weeks. Okay, I lie. I'll probably bore you a tiny bit, but I'll try not to. And hey - there's pictures to accompany my ramblings. Better yet, I was unafraid to make a total ass of myself, so I made small movies with my digital camera. I even narrated some, which drew interesting looks from passerby. Heh.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to see a sunset on the prairie. I can't wait to hear all about your trip and to see all the pictures.

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger Jen Bossypants said...

You were so right when you recommended that I be sure to catch sunrise and sunset on the prairie! Especially sunset. It was breathtaking, and unlike anything I could have imagined. Just ... wow.

Did I mention that I filled the memory card on my camera? It was a rather large one, and I managed to fill it. I don't think that some of the stuff translated to well to film (like, for example, the thirty-seven sunset pictures), but I'll take a careful look-see when I get home and can hook the camera up to my TV and really see what's what.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home